How To Perform DD-WRT Repeater Bridge Setup?
A repeater is a network device that extends the transmission range of a router so that the wireless signal can cover a longer distance. Instead of purchasing a new repeater, you can use your old router (secondary) as a repeater. Using DD-WRT, you can connect two LAN segments wirelessly. Simply put, you can boost your wireless signal by performing the DD-WRT repeater bridge setup. For this, you need not install DD-WRT on your primary router, but the router should support encryption like WPA2-AES that works with DD-WRT. Most importantly, you have to enable the DHCP feature on the primary router, and it must be configured in AP wireless mode. Below are the simple steps to setup DD-WRT repeater bridge mode.
- Step 1:Make sure you have installed the DD-WRT firmware on the secondary router.
- Step 1:Connect the secondary router to your computer using an Ethernet cable.
- Step 2:You can also establish a wireless connection between the secondary router and the computer.
- Step 3:Note: By default, the DD-WRT wireless network name is dd-wrt. After establishing the connection, then proceed with the next step to do DD-WRT repeater bridge setup.
- Step 1:Launch your browser on the computer that is connected to the secondary router.
- Step 2:Type 192.168.1.1 in the address field and press the Enter key.
- Step 1:In the Router Username field, create a username for the secondary router.
- Step 2:Create a password in the Router Password field. Type the password again in the Re-enter to confirm field.
- Step 3:Click the Change Password button.
- Step 4:You can use these login details to open the DD-WRT setup page.
- Step 1:Click the Wireless tab followed by the Basic Settings tab.
- Step 2:Choose the Repeater Bridge option from the Wireless Mode drop-down menu.
- Step 3:Wireless Network Mode and Wireless Network Name must be the same as the primary router.
- Step 4:Navigate to the Wireless Channel drop-down menu and select the Auto option.
- Step 5:Select Auto from the Channel Width drop-down menu.
- Step 6:Go to the Wireless SSID Broadcast field and select the Enable radio button.
- Step 7:Click Save. This will be a vital part to perform the DD-WRT repeater bridge setup. So follow the same without fail.
- Step 1:Navigate to the Wireless tab followed by the Wireless Security tab.
- Step 2:Set the Security mode as same as the primary router.
- Step 3:Click the Save option to continue.
- Step 1:Go to the Security tab followed by the Firewall tab.
- Step 2:Select the Filter Multicast option.
- Step 3:Note: Disable the SPI Firewall option if you have any issues.
- Step 4:Save these changes.
- Step 1:Click the Setup tab followed by the Basic Setup tab.
- Step 2:Local IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and Local DNS should be the same as the primary router.
- Step 3:Navigate to the DHCP Server field and select the Disable radio button.
- Step 4:Click the Save button.
- Step 1:Click the Apply Settings button.
- Step 2:Wait until the router reboots.
- Step 1:Log into the router’s web interface using the new IP address.
- Step 2:Ping the secondary router from the device connected to it.
- Step 3:Lastly, check internet connectivity.
- Step 4:Now, you can connect your wired or wireless clients to the newly configured secondary router.
If you require assistance performing the DD-WRT repeater bridge setup, contact our technical experts for assistance.