How To Do DD WRT Second Router Setup?
You can set up a secondary router in any of the following modes: repeater bridge, client bridge, and client mode. The simple steps to set up a DD-WRT router as a secondary router are provided on this page.
Client Mode Setup
The client mode setup establishes a wireless connection between your primary and secondary routers. There is no need to install the DD-WRT firmware on the primary router for the client mode setup. The primary (host) and the secondary routers should be on separate subnets. If you want port forwarding on your network, you have to configure it on both the routers.To perform the DD-WRT router client mode setup, carry out the step-by-step instructions given below.
- Step 1:Use an Ethernet cable to connect the secondary router to your computer.
- Step 2:Now, set the computer to a static IP address.
- Step 1:Launch a browser.
- Step 2:Enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar to access the DD-WRT GUI.
- Step 3:Create a new username and password.
- Step 4:Note: If you are not prompted to set up new login details, you must perform a proper reset on the router.
- Step 1:Click Wireless -> Wireless security.
- Step 2:Select your security mode and click Save.
- Step 1:Navigate to Wireless -> Basic Settings.
- Step 2:Choose Client from the Wireless Mode drop-down menu.
- Step 3:Set the Wireless Network Name of the secondary router the same as the primary router.
- Step 4:Save these settings.
- Step 1:Go to the Setup tab followed by the Basic Setup tab.
- Step 2:Select the Static IP or Automatic Configuration option from the Connection Type drop-down menu.
- Step 3:Set the Local IP Address to a different subnet from the primary router.
- Step 4:Select Save.
- Step 1:Wait until the secondary router reboots. Otherwise, disconnect it for seconds.
- Step 2:Reconnect it to finish the DD WRT second router setup.
Client Bridge Setup
Set up your secondary router as a client bridge only when other modes are not suitable because this mode is not stable. You can extend a wired LAN using the client bridge mode. It means that the wireless connection is going to be established only between your primary router and secondary router.
The step-by-step instructions to perform the DD-WRT client bridge setup are provided here.
- Step 1:Perform a hard reset on your secondary router.
- Step 2:Establish a connection between the secondary router and your computer using an Ethernet cable.
- Step 3:Now, set a static IP address on the computer.
- Step 1:Open Google Chrome and access the DD-WRT GUI.
- Step 2:If prompted to change login details, change them.
- Step 1:Navigate to Wireless -> Wireless Security.
- Step 2:Set your security type and key.
- Step 3:Click Save -> Apply.
- Step 1:Go to the Wireless tab followed by the Basic Setting tab.
- Step 2:Navigate to the Wireless Mode drop-down menu and select Client Bridge.
- Step 3:The Wireless Network Mode, Wireless Network Name, Channel, and Encryption settings should match your primary router’s settings.
- Step 4:Save the wireless network settings. It's one of the vital for DD WRT second router setup.
- Step 1:Click Setup -> Basic Setup.
- Step 2:The Gateway IP and Subnet mask must be the same as the primary router.
- Step 3:Leave the Local DNS field empty.
- Step 4:Make sure to save the settings.
- Step 1:Enter the new client bridge IP address in the address field.
- Step 2:Navigate to Security -> Firewall.
- Step 3:Select the Filter Multicast option and click Save.
- Step 1:Click Setup -> Advanced Routing.
- Step 2:Select the Router option from the Operating Mode menu.
- Step 3:Select Save and click Apply to complete the DD-WRT client bridge setup.
- Step 4:You can now switch your computer from Static IP to Automatic IP.
If you require assistance for DD WRT second router setup, click the call button available on this page.