How To Check Router Signal Strength
So how to check router signal strength depends on various factors like the distance between the router and the connected device, interference between the connected devices, the type of antenna used, and so on. You can measure the signal strength of your wireless router by several methods.
How to check the wireless router’s signal strength on a Windows10 computer:
On a Windows 10 computer, use the Control Panel to check your wireless router’s signal strength. Follow how to check router signal strength steps below to check the signal strength.
- Step 1:First, click the Start button on your Windows 10 computer.
- Step 2:Type control panel in the search box and click the Search icon.
- Step 3:Now, click and open the Control Panel.
- Step 4:On the Control Panel page, click the Network and Internet link.
- Step 5:In the next window, select the Network and Sharing Center option.
- Step 6:When you see the next window, the signal strength and the name of your wireless router under the View your active networks section.
- Step 7:While you proceed with how to check router signal strength guidelines, You can also click on your wireless router’s name to view more details, including the signal strength of your wireless router on the Wi-Fi Status window.
- Step 8:The number of bold bars indicates the signal strength of your wireless router. All the five bars appear to be bold when the signal strength is high, and when low, only a single bar appears bold.
How to check the wireless router’s signal strength from its web interface:
You can check the signal strength of your wireless router using the options in its web interface. It depends on the firmware of the wireless router.
In Netgear Wireless router:
Few Netgear router models have an option called Transmit Power Control. The value set in this field determines the signal strength of the router.Carry out the steps below to access the Transmit Power Control option on your Netgear wireless router.
- Step 1:Open the web browser on your computer connected to the Netgear wireless router.
- Step 2:Type the IP address of your wireless router in the address bar.
- Step 3:Enter the default username and password in the corresponding fields and click Login.
- Step 4:Under the Basic tab, select the Wireless option.
- Step 5:After following above how to check router signal strength procedure, on the Wireless Setup page, look for the Transmit Power Control field. It will be set to 100% by default, which is the signal strength of your wireless router.