HOW TO ENABLE UPNP ON ROUTER
Follow the guidelines mentioned below to enable Universal Plug and Play on your router.
- Step 1:Go to the mobile device/computer’s web browser and enter the router’s IP address in the address bar. Press Enter.
- Step 2:Key in the router’s login credentials and click Login. (Typically, the username is ‘admin’ and the password is ‘password.’)
- Step 3:The basic router page opens. Click the Advanced tab and then select Advanced Setup. Click UPnP and wait until the UPnP page loads.
- Step 4:Click the ‘Turn UPnP On’ checkbox.
- Step 5:Set the advertisement period in minutes. It denotes how long the router broadcasts the UPnP information. A shorter duration increases network traffic but sends updated device status to the device. On the other hand, a longer advertisement duration ensures slightly outdated device status but decreases network traffic.
- Step 6:Set the duration for the advertisement to go live in hops. Hops are the steps a packet takes to get from one router to another. Only increase the hop value if the devices are not getting updated as intended. Click Apply. Click Refresh to update the UPnP information.
HOW TO FIND UPNP ON ROUTER
UPnP is found in different tabs on the router’s EWS page. These guidelines walk you through the steps to find the UPnP feature on your router’s GUI.
- Step 1:Locate your router’s IP address and enter it in the address bar. If you cannot find the router’s IP address, open the command prompt, type ‘ipconfig /all’, and press Enter.
- Step 2:Copy the default gateway data and paste it in the address bar. Press Enter.
- Step 3:Type the passphrase and username and click Log in.
- Step 4:The router’s initial setup/basic page loads. Click the Advanced or Miscellaneous tab (differs based on the router brand and model) and locate the UPnP tab.
- Step 5:Click it and toggle UPnP on or off. Click Apply and close all the windows.
HOW DO I DISABLE UPNP ON MY ROUTER
Follow these simple guidelines to disable UPnP on your router.
- Step 1:Enter your D-Link/TP-Link/Linksys/Netgear router’s IP address in the address bar and press Enter.
- Step 2:You can find its IP address on the label and user manual.
- Step 3:Typically, the router’s IP address is ‘192.168.1.1’ or ‘192.168.0.1,’ and the IP address rarely begins with 10.
- Step 4:Key in the username and password in the respective fields. Click the ‘Log In’ button.
- Step 5:When the router’s basic page loads, click the Advanced tab to view the UPnP settings.
- Step 6:Deselect the ‘Enable UPnP’ option and click the ‘Save Settings’ button. This disables UPnP on your router.