How To Encrypt Wireless Network?
Your wireless router must be given at most importance and the highest level of protection as it is the gateway to the world of network for your devices, i.e., information can pass to and fro through the router. So, unless and until you secure your wireless or wired router with a password, your device will be open to all sorts of attacks and will be more vulnerable to the people accessing your computer and gathering information. So follow the below given how to encrypt wireless network guide. When it comes to password encryption, there are three types.
- Step 1 :WEP- Wireless Equivalent Privacy, WEP, is the first protocol that was formed in the late 90s, and it is still used only by a select few at the present time. The only con with this outdated encryption is that even an amateur hacker will be able to take the data from your computer. Even with the WEP encryption, you are advised to switch from your old router to a brand new one to have an advanced encryption works.
- Step 2 :WPA- WPA proved to be a good encryption method when compared to WEP, but has soon been replaced with advanced encryption called the WPA2.
- Step 3 :WPA2- WPA2 has the best security standards compared to WEP and WPA, and it is much more special with the latest encryption standard called AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), which is an algorithm for strong encryption.
Whether you use the WPA or WPA2, it means that any wireless device trying to connect to the network will be prompted to enter the password for the wireless network. Most of the wireless routers that are bring produced at the moment come with the WPA2 encryption.
Follow the steps to know how to encrypt wireless network on your computer.
- Step 1 :Turn on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Step 2 :Double-click on the default browser on your computer.
- Step 3 :Wait for the browser to open and proceed with how to encrypt wireless network guide.
- Step 4 :Now, you have to enter the router IP address (located at the back of the router) in the address bar of the browser and then press the Enter button.
- Step 5 :The router login page will now open.
- Step 6 :This is where you have to enter the default login credentials for the router. The default credentials are
- Step 7 :Username: admin
- Step 8 :Password: admin. Click the OK button once done.
- Step 9 :You will now be directed to the main home page of your router.
- Step 10 :Locate and click the Wireless tab on the page and then select the Wireless settings option.
- Step 11 :You will now come across a set of options on the page, create a name for the network in the SSID field (The name will be the network name for all the wireless devices).
- Step 12 :Select an option from the security code from the drop-down list.
- Step 13 :Click on the text field, and make sure to enter a strong password in the field (take note of the password physically as well).
- Step 14 :Click the Apply button. Now, close the browser.
- Step 15 :Move the cursor pointer to the notification section of the desktop, click the Wireless option.
- Step 16 :Click on the wireless network name of your router that you created earlier, and then click the Connect button.
- Step 17 :Your computer will now ask you to enter the password for the network.
- Step 18 :Enter the network password you created in the field and click the Connect button.
- Step 19 :On completing the above given how to encrypt wireless network manual, Your computer is now connected to the encrypted wireless network.