How To Hook Up Modem And Router
Connecting a modem to a router is quite easy with the help of two Ethernet cables, a coaxial cable, and a power cord. The section below explains how to hook up modem and router in two phases.
Connecting A Modem And A Router
- Step 1:First, make sure that you have the required components; two Ethernet cables, and a coaxial cable.
- Step 2:If not, get it from a trusted retail store.
- Step 3:If your internet connection uses cable or fiber-optic internet, then connect the internet cable to your wall outlet properly.
- Step 4:If your modem is DSL, then connect a phone line to the wall port of your telephone.
- Step 5:Now, locate the phone or coaxial cable port on your modem.
- Step 6:Connect the other end of the phone’s cable to the modem.
- Step 7:Get the power cord of your modem and proceed with how to hook up modem and router guide.
- Step 8:Locate and insert the phone cord or AC adapter to your modem.
- Step 9:Insert the other end of the AC adapter to the electrical outlet.
- Step 10:Now, your modem turns ON automatically.
- Step 11:If the modem fails to turn on or remains turned OFF, then locate and press the Power button on its control panel.
- Step 12:After modem turns ON, wait for a few seconds or minutes.
- Step 13:Then, get an Ethernet cable and connect its one end to your modem.
- Step 14:Place the router close to your modem.
- Step 15:Plug other ends of the Ethernet cable to the router.
- Step 16:Now, connect the router to the electrical outlet using the power cord.
- Step 17:As soon as the router turns ON, allow it to complete the boot-up process and move on with how to hook up modem and router guide.
- Step 18:Get another Ethernet cable and connect its one end to the router.
- Step 19:Plug other end of the same Ethernet cable to your desktop or laptop device.
- Step 20:Before going to the next step of the configuration process, make sure that the router and the modem are turned ON by checking the Power light.
- Step 21:Now, on your desktop or laptop (Windows) computer, launch the Google Chrome web browser.
- Step 22:Make sure that your Windows computer is connected to a stable internet connection.
- Step 23:In the search field of your web browser, type the IP address of your router.
- Step 24:Tap the Enter button on your computer’s keyboard.
- Step 25:Now your router’s Sign in dialog box will pop-up on the screen and proceed with how to hook up modem and router guide.
- Step 26:Enter your router’s credentials in the given field.
- Step 27:Click the Sign in button.
- Step 28:If you are unable to find or locate your router’s credentials, contact your router manufacturer.
- Step 29:Before connecting a router to a wireless network, make sure that the router’s firmware is up-to-date.
- Step 30:If not, locate option or tab that directs you to the Firmware Update section on your router’s web interface page.
- Step 31:On the Firmware Upgrade screen, click the Upgrade button.
- Step 32:Wait for your router’s firmware update process to complete.
- Step 33:Once your router’s firmware update process is completed, sign out of the account.
Configuring A Wireless Network On Your Router
- Step 1:Navigate to your router’s web interface page using the credentials.
- Step 2:On the main interface page, locate and click the Wireless tab.
- Step 3:Click the Basic Settings option below the Wireless tab.
- Step 4:Now by using how to hook up modem and router guide, the Wireless Basic Settings window will appear on the screen.
- Step 5:In the SSID text field, enter your network name.
- Step 6:Click the Security option below the Wireless tab.
- Step 7:Choose the WPA/ WPA2 option from the Encryption drop-down menu.
- Step 8:In the key, wireless key, passkey, or pre-shared key field, type your network security key or password.
- Step 9:Click the Modify button.
- Step 10:Now, your modem and the router are connected to the same network connection, and you can access the Internet when connected to the router
If you need remote assistance in hooking up the router and the modem even using how to hook up modem and router guide, click the Call button provided on this screen.