How To Set Bandwidth Priority On Router?
Setting up the bandwidth priority on your Wi-Fi router requires making changes to the QoS (Quality of service) settings (or rules) of the router. You can prioritize the services for which you require the bandwidth more than other services the router in the same bandwidth. This process is very simple if you follow the quick steps how to set bandwidth priority on router.
Before you begin, you need to identify the router’s IP address. To do so, follow the below-mentioned steps.
Quick steps to get the router’s IP address:
- Step 1 :You can identify the router’s IP address from the label printed on the router’s backside.
- Step 2 :Otherwise, you can identify it from the connected computer.
- Step 3 :If you are using a Windows computer, open the Command Prompt app with administrator rights.
- Step 4 :In the Command Prompt window, type ‘ipconfig’ and press the Enter key.
- Step 5 :Navigate to the Default Gateway section and identify your router’s IP address.
- Step 6 :Using this IP address, you can open your router’s login portal.
- Step 7 :If you are using a Macintosh, click the Apple menu and select System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Step 8 :Click the Network icon in the System Preferences window and select the Advanced button.
- Step 9 :Click the Router tab and identify your router’s IP address.
Steps to set up the bandwidth priority on your Netgear router:
- Step 1 :Access the router’s login portal using the IP address and enter the login credentials and see how to set bandwidth priority on router settings page.
- Step 2 :Click the Wireless tab and head to the QoS settings page.
- Step 3 :Click the Add Priority Rule button and locate the MAC Address of the device you wish to prioritize.
- Step 4 :Under the Priority category, select the MAC Address for the devices ranging from Very High to Low.
- Step 5 :Once completed, click the Apply button.
Steps to set up the bandwidth priority on your Linksys router:
- Step 1 :Access your Linksys router settings page and head to the Applications & Gaming tab.
- Step 2 :Select the QoS sub-menu and choose MAC Address from the Upstream Bandwidth pull-down menu.
- Step 3 :Input the details of the device you wish to set the bandwidth priority for.
- Step 4 :Set the bandwidth priority level from high to low.
- Step 5 :Once the bandwidth priority level is set, save the settings.
That’s it. You have see how to set bandwidth priority on router device.