How To Set Up Surfshark VPN On Router?
A VPN service will ensure the privacy of your computer or network and protect it from unknown access. On this web page, we will show how to set up Surfshark VPN on router.
Preparing the router:
- Step 1: You have to install a free firmware called DD-WRT on your router. To do so, first, check if DD-WRT supports your router. Then, download the DD-WRT firmware’s bin file for your specific router model.
- Step 2:Make a note of the router’s IP address by following the instructions given below.
- Connect your computer to the router’s network.
- Open Command Prompt.
- Run the ipconfig command and tap Enter. Your router’s IP address will be displayed near the Default Gateway field.
- Step 3:Now, go to your router’s web access page using router credentials. If you have changed your router’s default credentials, then enter the new username and password to sign in. If not, enter the default credentials and click Sign-in.
- Step 4:Go to the router’s firmware installation page. For many routers, it should be under the Administration tab.
- Step 5:Upload the DD-WRT firmware bin file on your router. To do so, click the Browse button beside the Please select a file to upgrade line or similar to it. Select the bin file and click Upgrade.
- Step 6:Now, you have to create a new username and password for DD-WRT. Enter the default DD-WRT IP address (192.168.1.1) in your browser’s address bar and tap Enter. Now, a window prompting you to create the new credential will open. Set the username and password here.
- Step 7:Check if your router is connected to the internet. If not, know how to set up Surfshark VPN on router and then connect it.
- Step 8:Enable the Start Open VPN Client option on the router. For this, click the Services option on the router’s web access page followed by the VPN tab. Locate and enable the Start Open VPN Client option.
Once you have completed the above mentioned steps successfully, set up the VPN.
Setting up the Surfshark VPN service on the router:
Go to the router’s configuration page and follow the VPN client’s instructions to complete the setup process.
The procedure given below explains how to configure the Asus router with Surfshark using OpenVPN protocol.
- Step 1:Go to your Asus router’s web access page.
- Step 2:Click the VPN tab.
- Step 3:Go to the VPN Client section.
- Step 4:Click the Add Profile button under the VPN Server List section.
- Step 5:Now, a dialog box will open.
- Step 6:Select your protocol.
- Step 7:Fill the Description, Username, and Password fields.
- Step 8:Click the Choose File button beside the Import.ovpn file.
- Step 9:Upload the file and click OK.
- Step 10:Once the protocol has been set up on the VPN Server list, click Activate.
Contact us to get remote assistance to know how to set up Surfshark VPN on router.