How To Troubleshoot Router Keeps Dropping Internet?
Reasons Why Internet Keeps Dropping
If you experience the Internet dropping issue, there are different reasons why this occurs.
- Step 1:Maybe you are connected to a bad Wi-Fi connection.
- Step 2:Damaged cable used to connect your router to your PC.
- Step 3:Wi-Fi hotspot quality is low; you might be close to the edge of the Wi-Fi range.
- Step 5:Maybe you have forgotten to update your router.
The most effective method to Fix Internet Connection Drops
- Step 1:Relocate your wireless device closer to the Wi-Fi router/hotspot.
- Step 2:Update your router by downloading the latest driver from the manufacturer site.
- Step 3:Restart your router and modem.
- Step 4:Check the cable that runs between your router and PC.
- Step 5:Also, check the cable connection between the router and modem.
- Step 6:If that on a public Wi-Fi network, check whether you need to log in again to the system.
- Step 7:Network issues on the ISP side. Your ISP (Internet service provider) might help you fix this issue.
If other devices are working fine on your network, then try the steps given below.
- Step 1:If you have not power reset your router yet, turn off your PC and unplug the router's power cable.
- Step 2:Wait for up to 10 seconds, then plug the power cable to the router.
- Step 3:Wait for the led lights to stop blinking.
- Step 4:Turn on the computer.
- Step 5:Test the router keeps dropping internet connection on your PC and check whether it's steady.
Network card connection:
The network card in your PC may be encountering issues with keeping a steady Internet connection. There are two things you can attempt to fix this.
Reinstall network card drivers:
- Step 1:If the Internet connection is not stable, delete the network card from your PC's Device Manager.
- Step 2:Restart the PC and Windows will reinstall the network card and its drivers.
- Step 3:Reinstalling the network card can fix the issue.
Update network card drivers:
- Step 1:Check the network card manufacturer site or the PC manufacture site whether there is any update for the network card.
- Step 2:If available, download and install the updated drivers and test the Internet connection.
Reset the router:
If you are facing the Internet connection dropping issue, then you can choose to reset your router as the final option.
- Step 1:Locate the Reset button at the rear panel of the router.
- Step 2:Press the reset button and hold it for 10 to 30 seconds. This duration might vary depending on your router model.
- Step 3:Once the router has been reset, you will notice that your router reboots.
- Step 4:Again, configure the network and router settings.
Now, you should be relieved of the router keeps dropping Internet connection issue.